Not really...BUT...Today I went and did my caseworker thing, having a tea party with a super cute two year-old. On my way home, I was pulled over by a very nice sheriff's officer. I wasn't speeding, but my heart fell when those lights came on. You see, my registration sticker went out...three months ago. I know, I know, but I'm lazy when it comes to registration. It's like I can't help it. I pulled over, turned the car off, and placed my keys on the dash, like I learned in defensive driving that I had to take for one of my speeding tickets. :) He kindly informed me that my registration was out, and then he noticed that my inspection sticker was also expired. Oops! I handed over my license and insurance after he asked for it, informing him that my insurance is still good, even though this particular card had EXPIRED last week. But wait, there's more. My license expired at the beginning of September. I know, I know, shameful. I mumbled something about how I knew I needed to get it done and that I can't rent cars for work b/c it's expired. I then told him that the new DL place takes almost four hours to get your license renewed and I'd just put it off. He nodded and went back to his SUV to write out what could possibly the highest ticket known to man. Here's what I was thinking...Brian's going to kill me, Brian is going to kill me.
Coppers comes back with his little carbon copy clipboard, informing me that he was only citing me on the license and my registration. WHEW! I figured I could go tomorrow to get those fixed and the judge would drop the $$ part (that's what happened last year...I know, shameful.). I offhandedly asked who the judge was, wondering if it was the one I work with through CPS. I recognized the name and said as much to the sheriff. He raised his eyebrows and said, "Oh really?" I said yes, through my work with CPS. Then the craziest thing happened...his expression changed and he said, I thought you worked at a car rental place? I said no, and showed him my name badge. He took the instruction paper out of my hand, wrote VOID in huge letters across the triplicate ticket, and THANKED me for what I do. I am not even kidding. He said he could never do my job, I said I could never do his. I shook his hand and thanked him over and over. After I pulled back on the road, I had the oddest feeling of relief mixed with disbelief and guilt at his kindness. I felt so undeserving of what the officer had done. Guess where I'm going to be tomorrow morning? That's right, DMV and Tax Office.
**This was from last week, just never posted it.**
Dad.
4 years ago
3 comments:
wow what a story!
wow what a story!
That is awesome...I could never do what you do either! Or the cop for that matter. You social workers are amazing.
Post a Comment